Call To Artists
NYC Parks’ Ebony Society invites you to submit your work for the exhibition Migration in the Arsenal Gallery in celebration of Black History Month.
In the midst of tremendous upheaval—two world wars and the Great Depression—a vast movement of people, some 6 million African American descendants of the Antebellum South, fled the racial segregation and discrimination of Jim Crow laws for northern and western US cities. The “Great Migration” as it is commonly referred, caused a seismic societal demographic shift and left an indelible mark on the urbanization of America. NYC Parks’ Ebony Society asks artists to share their interpretations of this historical epoch and its impact.
Submission Deadline Sunday, November 23, 2014
Exhibition Dates January 15 – February 24, 2015
All submissions should include:
- A brief description of proposed artwork or artist’s statement
- Up to 15 slides, photos, or images on a cd of representative work. Do not send original work
- slide list, numbered to correspond to slides or photos with title, date, materials used and the dimensions of the work
- Artist’s resume
- Self-addressed, stamped envelope. (if you would like your submission returned to you)
- The work can be incomplete at the time of submission, but if so, please provide a summary or sketch
Exhibition proposals will be reviewed and selected by the Ebony Society. All media are considered, but please note that the gallery has a very limited capacity for 3-dimensional work. Artwork may only be hung from moldings by use of monofilament and hooks.
Incomplete proposals will not be considered. Applicants will be notified whether their work has been accepted for exhibition by December 5, 2014.
Proposals can be sent to:
Arsenal Gallery, NYC Parks & Recreation
The Arsenal, Central Park
830 Fifth Avenue, Room 20
New York, NY 10065