Intrepid Museum To Reopen To Public Friday, September 25
Enhanced Health & Safety Measures to Include Mandatory Face Covering Policy, Social Distancing, Capacity Limits, Timed Ticketing and Increased Cleaning and Disinfecting Procedures
NEW YORK (August 25, 2020) – The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum today announced its plans to reopen to the public on Friday, September 25. Based on guidance from public health experts, the Museum is putting into action enhanced health and safety measures including a mandatory face covering policy, enforced social distancing, capacity limits, timed ticketing, and increased cleaning and disinfecting procedures.
“We appreciate everyone who has supported us during this difficult time and can’t wait to once again welcome visitors through our doors,” said Intrepid Museum President Susan Marenoff-Zausner. “In preparation for our reopening, the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, former crew members and visitors is always our number one priority. The Museum will continue to follow the recommendations and guidelines of health experts as well as the relevant city, state and federal agencies. With the measures we’ve put in place, we believe we will provide an engaging experience in a safe environment.
“We also are mindful of the important role we, and other cultural institutions and attractions, will play in helping to reinvigorate New York City,” added Marenoff-Zausner. “Our entire organization takes that responsibility to heart and we are thrilled to be able to do our part.”
While some experiences will be temporarily closed (see below) during the initial reopening phase, the vast majority of the 350,000 square foot Intrepid Museum will be available and accessible to visitors, including most exhibitions, the entire collection of aircraft on the flight and hangar decks, as well as the Space Shuttle Pavilion, which houses the space shuttle Enterprise.
Below are highlights of the safety procedures, new policies and expectations for visitors and staff. More specific guidelines, FAQs and advance timed ticketing information can be found at IntrepidMuseum.org.
Museum Schedule and Hours
- The Museum will operate with a five-day per week schedule, Wednesday-Sunday from 10:00am-5:00pm.
- The last available timed ticket is at 3:30pm, with all guests entering no later than 4:00pm.
- Attendance is initially limited to a maximum of 25 percent of Museum capacity to manage physical distancing.
- A timed, advance reservation ticketing policy is in place.
- Advance tickets are required.
- Cashless transactions are strongly encouraged.
Cleaning and Sanitization
- Cleaning procedures will be enhanced throughout the Museum. Extra attention will be given to high-traffic and high-touch areas, including handrails, benches, handles, restrooms, garbage bins and more.
- All exhibits will be cleaned and disinfected every hour in which the Museum is open to the public as well as nightly.
- Elevators will be cleaned and disinfected every hour during Museum hours.
- The number of hand sanitizing stations has been significantly increased throughout the Museum complex to more than 200.
Further Safety Measures
- Protective barriers have been added to our box office, Information Desk and other strategic locations for the safety of visitors and staff.
- Certain areas, exhibits and amenities of the Museum such as the interior of the Concorde, submarine Growler, Lutnick Theater, simulators, food service and the retail store will be temporarily unavailable.
- All onsite public programming remains suspended until further notice.
- Group experiences such as tours, birthday parties and overnights are temporarily unavailable.
What to expect from the Intrepid Museum
- Protective equipment: Properly-worn face coverings on every employee.
- Frequent sanitizing: Enhanced cleaning of all surfaces throughout the day, with an emphasis on high-touch surfaces.
- Social distancing: Strict six-foot social distancing will be enforced for staff and visitors.
- Hand-sanitizer stations: More than 200 hand sanitizers will be available throughout the Museum.
- Employee health checks: Museum employees will perform daily health self-monitoring before coming to work, in accordance with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, New York State and New York City guidelines.
- Employee wellness: Museum employees experiencing any symptoms will be required to stay home and self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Patience and Understanding: Museum employees understand that we are all adjusting to new protocols and guidelines and are committed to communicating with our visitors with thoughtfulness and patience.
What we expect from our visitors
- Wear a face covering: Face coverings for visitors over 2 years of age are required at the Museum and/or Pier 86. Face coverings must be worn properly, tightly covering the mouth and nose at all times.
- Practice social distancing: Maintain six feet of distance from other visitors except for members of your household/party and observe all social distancing markers.
- Visit at another time if you are showing symptoms: Visitors who show any signs of illness are asked to plan your visit for another day. For the health and safety of all, the Intrepid Museum reserves the right to ask visitors with visible symptoms to come back another time.
- Patience and Understanding: As we work to keep you safe, please show patience with, and respect to, our staff and other visitors.