Vietnam Veterans Day
Saturday, March 28
9:30 AM – 3:30 PM
The Church Of St. Andrew On Police Plaza For Reading Of Names Of Fallen New Yorkers
Vietnam Veterans Memorial Plaza And Lobby At 55 Water St. For Veterans Expo, Ceremony, Wreath Laying
Hundreds Of Vietnam And Post 9/11 Veterans And Family Members Honor Pledge To Never Abandon Another Generation Of Veterans During Day Of Activities Commemorating Vietnam Veterans Day
Keeping a pledge to never abandon another generation of veterans, hundreds of Vietnam and post 9/11 veterans and family members from the tri-state area will join the United War Veterans Council (UWVC) — producers of the annual NYC Veterans Day Parade — to commemorate Vietnam Veterans Day with a day of activities Saturday, March 28 , 9:30 am – 3:30 pm, at the Church of St. Andrew on Police Plaza and at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Plaza, 55 Water Street in Lower Manhattan.
The day begins at the Church of St. Andrew with a solemn name-reading ceremony honoring the 1,741 New Yorkers lost in service in Vietnam and since 9/11/2001. Activities continue at 55 Water Street, where there will be a Veterans Expo; presentations of proclamations from President Barack Obama, Mayor Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew Cuomo; a special ‘Thank You’ from Iraq and Afghanistan veterans; and a wreath laying with rifle salute at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall. Following is the full schedule for the day:
9:30 am – Noon, READING OF NAMES OF FALLEN NEW YORKERS at Church of St. Andrew on Police Plaza
- Andrew Pastor James Hayes leads a solemn ceremony featuring family members of the fallen (Gold Star Families), friends and veterans coming together to remember and reflect
- Reading of the names of New Yorkers lost in service in Vietnam (1,741) and since 9/11/2001 (91)
11:30 am – 3:30 pm, VETERANS EXPO at 55 Water St.
- Older veterans mix with younger vets, catch up with old friends and enjoy an expo featuring more than 30 veterans groups. Resources and information will be available for veterans and dependents of all eras.
1:00 pm, CEREMONY at 55 Water St.
- Presentation of the Colors, National Anthem and proclamations from President Barack Obama, Mayor Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew Cuomo
- Music and distinguished guests, with special performance by Michelle DellaFave
- ‘Thank You’ from Iraq and Afghanistan veterans
2:45-3:15 pm, WREATH LAYING at Vietnam Veterans Memorial Plaza at 55 Water St.
- Laying of wreaths at the NYC Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall
- Rifle Salute – 6th Communication Btn., USMC and Taps