SOTHEBY’S “SUNDAY AT SOTHEBY’S” PANEL
A Fresh Coat of Paint
The Critical and Commercial Rebirth of Painting in the Twenty-first Century
Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 1:00 pm
(Exhibitions open from 12:00 – 5:00 pm)
FREE and open to the public
Sotheby’s New York, 1334 York Ave, New York, NY 10021
RSVP: (212) 894-1734 or [email protected]
FREE and open to the public.
Featuring Nancy Spector, Martha Schwendener, Edward Lee and Sean Landers, Moderated by Allan Schwartzman, to Kick Off Week of Marquee November Auctions
On Sunday, November 13, 2016, Sotheby’s New York will hold a “Sunday at Sotheby’s” panel A Fresh Coat of Paint: The Critical and Commercial Rebirth of Painting in the Twenty-first Century, kicking off the week of Impressionist & Modern and Contemporary Art sales. Free and open to the public, the panel of art world insiders will use examples from The Triumph of Painting: the Steven & Ann Ames Collection, to be sold in the Contemporary Evening (Nov. 17) and Contemporary Day (Nov. 18) auctions, to discuss the critical role that painting as a medium continues to plays within Contemporary Art discourse. The panel, moderated by Allan Schwartzman, Sotheby’s Chairman of the Global Fine Arts Division and Art Agency, Partners co-founder, will feature Nancy Spector, Brooklyn Museum of Art Deputy Director and Chief Curator; Martha Schwendener, New York Times Art Critic;Edward Lee, one of ARTnews’ Top 200 Art Collectors and longtime friend of Steven and Ann Ames; and Sean Landers, Contemporary American artist.
This panel discussion will be centered on the role of painting within the larger discourse of Contemporary Art, and how movements that set out to destroy the central authority of painting and turn towards alternative art forms led artists to re-evaluate its very capabilities as a medium, propelling the historic practice into a distinctly contemporary and fresh new realm of possibility.
The Ames Collection alongside other highlights from the Contemporary Art Evening and Day Auctions, will be on view during the free pre-auction exhibition beginning November 4.
- Nancy Spector, Panelist, Deputy Director and Chief Curator, Brooklyn Museum of Art; previously Deputy Director and Jennifer and David Stockman Chief Curator of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum and Foundation.
- Martha Schwendener, Panelist, Art Critic for the New York Times; named critic in Photography at the Yale University School of Art in 2014.
- Edward Lee, Panelist, named one of ARTnews’ Top 200 Art Collectors, an avid collector of contemporary art and longtime friend of Steven and Ann Ames.
- Sean Landers, Panelist, Contemporary American artist living and working in New York City who uses painting, along with a variety of other media, to express personal experience as public subject matter.
- Allan Schwartzman, Moderator, Chairman of the Global Fine Arts Division and a co-founder of the advisory Art Agency, Partners. Prior to that, he was a leading independent advisor.