One More Bite
Sunday, October 23, 2016
At the Green Building in Gowanus
Brooklyn Based Kids is inviting New York families to its first family food fair, One More Bite, on Sunday, Oct. 23, at the Green Building in Gowanus.
At One More Bite we’ll be encouraging kids to try new foods and learn how good food is made. Local farmers, activists and entrepreneurs will offer healthy and delicious samples of their products, and lead kids of all ages in hands-on activities. As kids learn about the food system and try new flavors, they’ll also be seeking out stamps for the special passbook they’ll receive upon arrival, and win a treat of their choice from Ovenly, BarkTHINS or Pirasta at the end.
The “stops” throughout the day include Pure Genius Provisions, McClure’s Pickles, Umi Kitchen, Cava Grill, True Made Foods, Tuckrbox, All Granola, Gotham Greens, Les Trois Petits Cochons and GrowNYC for delicious samples.
Kids will also be invited to:
- Learn about Monarch butterflies and how they pollinate our favorite snacks with Annie Novak of Growing Chefs and Eagle Street Rooftop Farm.
- Explore all the different parts of plants that we eat through art projects with City Growers.
- Guess and measure the amount of sugar they think a processed food contains with Pure Food Kids.
- Do “food coloring” using apples, pears and mini pumpkins with Private Picassos between 11am and 2pm. (So come dressed for a washable mess!)
For parents, we’ve scheduled three great, drop-in talks for mealtime inspiration too:
- 12pm: Finding the joy in family meals with Kate Huling of Marlow Goods and a contributor to Dinner at the Long Table
- 1pm: What nutritionists Samantha Rigoli, RD and Aynsley Kirshenbaum, who are also parents, do, and don’t eat at home
- 2pm: How to encourage the pickiest of eaters to try new foods with Andrea Kapner of Tiny Turnips Kitchen and Kate Homes of Carried Away Chefs
Greenpoint’s Cassette restaurant will also offer coffee, juices, beer, wine and sandwiches for sale throughout.