Get Fit at Broadway Boulevard on Car Free Earth Day
April 21, 2018
The following comes courtesy of the 34th Street Partnership (34SP) Blog
This Saturday, April 21, is Car Free Earth Day in New York City. To mark the occasion and to promote environmental awareness, 30 blocks of Broadway, from 17th Street to 47th Street, will be closed to cars for six hours from 9am to 3pm.
Broadway’s plazas will be busy with programming during that time, with dance and music performances, fitness classes, public art installations, children’s activities, and more. Of course, our stretch of Broadway, between 35th and 33rd Streets, will be a hive of activity. Besides environmental-centered programming, we’re also taking this opportunity to preview the free exercise classes we have lined up for the summer.
At Herald Square (between 35th and 34th Streets), each one hour long:
- 9am: Sanctified Booty– work on those glutes at classes conducted by instructors from Fitness Sanctuary
- 10am: Beginner Salsa Class– conducted by instructors from Paul Pellicoro’s DanceSport
- 11am: ((305)) Fitness. – Miami-inspired cardio classes
- 12pm: Ratchet Fitness– a watch-and-follow dance class that targets everything, presented by Banana Skirt Productions
- 1pm: Hoopdance with Fitnotic– hula hoop classes with Sheryl Wilson of Fitnotic
- 2pm: Ironstrength– Jordan Metzl, sports medicine physician from Hospital for Special Surgery, offers a training session for running enthusiasts
Broadway between 34th and 33rd Streets, east side:
- 11am and 11:30am: Limon Dance Class– a favorite at Bryant Park for years, Limon Dance Company conducts two classes using the company’s signature method
- 12pm-1pm Jump Double Dutch– join Double Dutch Empire for jump roping classes
All programming at Broadway Boulevard is free and open to everyone.