Sunday, August 5
10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Taking place in Times Square
- To create an informed and interactive approach to environmental issues.
- To point up the problems, discuss the solutions, mobilize action and praise the achievements of those who are successfully addressing the issues;
- To promote awareness of urban and global environmental issues, i.e. clean energy and climate change;
- To showcase products, services, technology, programs and research that can make our lives more environmentally friendly;
- To provide environmental groups with space and opportunity to gain members and volunteers, while presenting their message to the general public;
- To provide the public with opportunities to get actively involved by joining and volunteering with environmental groups and learning how to make their voices heard by politicians and the media;
- To have a dynamic event with multiple environmental education opportunities and practical solutions, especially for our children, who are the gatekeepers of the future.
- To integrate environmentally safe choices for effective use within a day-to-day lifestyle.
A major focus of ECOFEST is conservation of our natural resources and innovative alternative-energy technologies. The SEOTO (Sources of Energy Other Than Oil) Alternative Fuels Display which demonstrates a wide variety of alternative-energy vehicles – ranging from prototypes of solar cars to electric, natural-gas, hybrid, fuel cell and ethanol vehicles already in use by private businesses and many New York City and New York State Agencies. The vehicles stay on display with exciting demonstrations and activities scheduled throughout the day. In addition to the SEOTO Alternative Energy Display, ECOFEST’s regular features include the ECO-FASHION SHOW on the World Solar Stage presenting collections made of 100% organic and recycled material and exhibits focusing in eco products and services, handicrafts, agencies and healthy food. Many children’s eco-activities, health and fitness and NYCACC pet adoptions throughout the day.
ART COMPETITION AND EXHIBIT (in association with UFT/NYCATA)