U.S. ARMY AND UNITED WAR VETERANS COUNCIL ANNOUNCE
ARMY WEEK NYC, JUNE 8 – 14
New York, NY – The U.S. Army and the United War Veterans Council present Army Week NYC, a series of events to honor the strength and resilience of the United States Army and the men and women serving in today’s Army and their families-past and present, and to advocate for services for veterans and their families, Saturday, June 8 through Friday, June 14. These events center around the 238th Birthday of the U.S. Army, which is also Flag Day on June 14. For more details and updated information, visit http://armyweeknyc.com/. Following is the current schedule of Army Week NYC events:
Saturday, June 8
- The 4th Annual Big Apple Run for the Warriors — 8:30 a.m. (Opening Ceremony); 9 a.m. (Run Begins) at Wagner Park, between Battery Park and West Side Highway, Manhattan – As the kick-off event, this unique road race offers runners views of the Freedom Tower, the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building. Hope for the Warriors ® will honor wounded service members during an opening ceremony.
Tuesday, June 11
- Army Week NYC 2013 Commander’s Cup Golf Tournament — 8 a.m. at Dyker Beach Golf Course, 1030 86th St., Brooklyn – Join in the fun, sportsmanship and recreation on the very golf course where Lieutenant Colonel (Ret.) Earl Woods, Tiger Woods’ father, learned to golf while stationed at Fort Hamilton Army Garrison in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Fort Hamilton FMWR and Army Week NYC team come together to host an Army Birthday golf outing at the Dyker Beach Golf Course followed by a complimentary luncheon at nearby Fort Hamilton Community Club. Enjoy golfing with the panoramic backdrop of the Verrazano Narrows. For information call 718-630-4771.
- Day of Service with Purple Heart Homes – 9 a.m. in Manchester and Canton, CT – Purple Heart Homes and a group of Manchester, CT community volunteers will renovate a home for injured Iraq Veteran SSG Sandra Lee. They will also build an addition onto a home for a service connected Disabled Vietnam Army Veteran suffering from a severe form of Parkinson’s disease in Canton, CT. Those interested in volunteering at either project should contact Christopher Page at [email protected].
- Veteran Artists Program Art Show — 7:30 p.m. at Lexington Avenue Armory, Lexington Avenue between 25th & 26th Sts., Manhattan – Veteran Artist and Soldier Britten Walker will discuss his inspiration to design and sculpt the inaugural Soldier’s Patriot Award, which will be delivered to Bill Nelson, former HBO Chairman and 101st Airborne Vietnam Veteran at the June 13th Army Birthday Gala. Honoring the military service of the over 10,000 active duty from Puerto Rico, recording artists, Domino Saints – an explosive Urban/Pop Duo from San Juan, Puerto Rico will perform their international Billboard Dancehall Reggae, Electronica and Latin Glam hits. Veteran’s art will be on display.
Wednesday, June 12
- Day of Service with Purple Heart Homes — See June 11
Thursday, June 13
- Job Fair with Be A Hero-Hire a Hero in partnership with Veterans Recruiting Services (VRS) – Army Birthday Celebration – Veterans Career Fair — 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Hotel Pennsylvania, Manhattan – Be A Hero-Hire A Hero is dedicated to giving back when our Heroes return home. This hiring event will include dozens of employers from a wide range of industries and an array of veteran service organizations.
- U.S. Army’s 238th Birthday Gala — 6:30 p.m. at The Union League Club, Manhattan – General John F. Campbell, Vice Chief of Staff of the Army, will attend as the military guest of honor at this black tie celebration of the Army’s birthday benefiting Operation Homefront. Vietnam Veteran of United States Army’s 101st Airborne, Bill Nelson, Chairman of HBO, will receive the inaugural Soldier’s Patriot Award. Silent and live auction items will entice the crowd. Dancing will run into the night with members of the Sugar Bar All-Star Band, with special guest Michelle DellaFave (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bob Hope USO Tours). For information or tickets, email [email protected].
Friday, June 14 (Flag Day)
- U.S. Army 238th Birthday Celebration in NYC — 9:45 a.m. at Duffy Square in Times Square; and 12:10 p.m. at Bryant Park, Manhattan – Presented by the United States Army. Times Square Cake Cutting Ceremony – Live music, key speakers, Future Soldier swearing-in ceremony, and presentation of the colors. Bryant Park Patriotic Performance – Performances by the U.S. Military Academy Band and “Hellcats,” The U. S. Army Drill Team, The Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps, and The U.S. Army Soldiers Show.
- HBO Special Screening — 4 p.m. at HBO Offices, 1100 6th Avenue, Manhattan – Private Screening of Sebastian Junger’s* Documentary “Which Way Is The Front Line From Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington*” – *Co-Directors nominated for Best Documentary Academy Award for “Restrepo” An exciting new documentary from 2013 Sundance Film Festival, the 77-minute film is testament to the late Tim Hetherington, the 40 year-old conflict photographer, film director and visionary artist. RSVP Required. To RSVP or for more information, email [email protected].
About United War Veterans Council
The United War Veterans Council, Inc. (UWVC) is a 501-(c) (19) non-profit organization that is chartered by the City of New York to produce America’s Parade, the annual Veterans Day parade and other events honoring service. Since our inception, the UWVC has been a non-political, non-partisan organization, with no agenda or purpose other than to honor service and mobilize public support for our veterans. We represent the mosaic of the veterans’ community, encompassing veterans of all eras and backgrounds. www.uwvc.org / FB / Twitter
About Army Week NYC
Army Week NYC, in its inaugural year, is made up of Veterans, Reservists, Military Spouses and committed community members who are still serving and who care deeply about remembering and honoring service to country, in celebrating through the United States Army Birthday. The group remembers – who we served with, and why we served. www.armyweeknyc.com