World’s Fair Anniversary Festival
Sunday, May 18, 2014
1:00 p.m.–8:30 p.m.
Parking is limited. Please take public transportation.
Flushing Meadows Corona Park will be celebrating the 75th and 50th anniversaries of the NYC World’s Fair with a full day of free activities for all.
Interested in revisiting the 1939 and 1964 Fairs? We’ll be leading tours of historic sites that are still in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, and displaying exhibits of memorabilia.
Kid-friendly events include 50-cent rides on the historic carousel, puppet shows, face painting, and a visit by Mr Met.
Enjoy cultural music and dance performances throughout the day followed by an evening concert and fireworks!. Different foods from around the world will be available, including Belgian waffles, which were introduced to the US at the 1964 World’s Fair.
The giant one-day festival will offer a wide range of free activities for all ages to enjoy and re-live the 1939 and 1964 Fairs:
- Tour the original structures, sculptures and buildings, including the New York State Pavilion, Queens Museum, Queens Theater, and more!
- See giant tents filled with World’s Fair memorabilia
- Check out vintage vehicles including amphibious vehicles and a Batmobile
- Enjoy food trucks representing international cuisines
- Watch live cultural entertainment
- Share and record your own World’s Fair memories and photos
For kids, there will be:
- Crafts and activities by NYSCI, the Queens Museum and other cultural institutions
- Inflatable rides
- Puppet shows
- Strolling magicians
- A visit from Mr. Met
And much more!
From 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., the anniversary celebration continues with a free concert by the Liverpool Shuffle, a Beatles Tribute Band, and the Queens Symphony Orchestra and a skyful of fireworks.
The event is rain or shine.
Visit their World’s Fair Anniversary page for more information about the Festival, and to take a virtual tour of the historic fairgrounds. Don’t miss this once in a lifetime event!