New York, NY 10282
TRIBECA FAMILY FESTIVAL STREET FAIR
Saturday, April 25
10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Greenwich Street (between Chambers Street and Hubert Street)
Lights, Camera, Family Festival!
Come downtown and spend the day in the Tribeca neighborhood with live Broadway performances, arts and crafts, games and activities, local restaurants and merchants, storytelling, free film screenings and so much more.
Dozens of family-friendly neighborhood restaurants and merchants will participate, along with schools and other organizations from the Tribeca community. There will be entertainment and special performances throughout the day on the street and on multiple Festival Stages, along with filmmaking workshops and presentations, storytelling and puppetry, cooking demos and tastings, sports activities and clinics, art displays, and character appearances.
- The Tribeca Studios Backlot will bring a neighborhood street to life with all of the classic elements of filmmaking on location in New York City: lights, cameras, and ACTION. Unlike the “closed set” status of most film location shoots, this experience is OPEN to all to learn, experience and enjoy the wide range of elements that go into creating a film production. 2015 event participants and partners include:
- Theatrical Teamsters Local 817 “On Location” Film Experience: Theatrical Teamsters Local 817 will be on site with a High End Star Trailer and a Hair and Make-Up Trailer (furnished by Haddad’s and David Haddad); A Camera Car accompanied by Action Camera Cars’ Ultimate Arm and E-Bike Electric Camera Motorcycle (furnished by Action Camera Cars and Owen Holland). Come down to the Tribeca Studios Backlot and experience what it’s really like to work “On Location” in New York City.
- Using iPads and various media, the Animation Chefs help kids as young as Pre-K bring to life their creativity. Teaching young kids the entire process of making an animated film of their own, they have inspired thousands of young filmmakers to use mobile devices for productive, creative media projects.
- Kids can visit The AUTOMATIC STUDIOS “Pop Up Studio” and experience working on a real movie set! They can go behind the scenes and operate camera equipment and lights or jump in front of the camera and fly through the air on our green screen! Ages 7 and Up
- Tribeca VIP “Red Carpet” Photo Op: Festivalgoers will be invited to walk the Tribeca Studios Backlot red carpet and pose next to Fathead Stand Out™ Cut Outs of famous entertainment personalities.
- Create your own screenplay with Writopia, where published fiction writers and produced playwrights run fun, productive creative writing workshops for kids ages 2 to 21.
- Meet AeroCine, New York’s only drone company, who flies Hollywood-grade cameras on custom designed & built multi-rotor heavy-lift UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles).
- The Mayor’s Office of Media & Entertainment (MOME) will be on location, celebrating the record-breaking number of episodic television programs and films shooting in NYC by inviting festivalgoers to have their picture taken in front of the “Made in NY” step and repeat. Attendees will also be able to purchase official “Made in NY” branded apparel which will be available on site.
- A lineup of New York City chefs will offer demonstrations and share cooking secrets and tastings at the Tribeca Food Feast Stage hosted by 60 Hudson. The show kitchen stage will be the featured centerpiece of the Tribeca Food Feast, an area at the Street Fair that will feature local restaurants and establishments along with select specialty food vendors from around the New York City area. Each chef will prepare and present a house specialty to a select number of audience members.
- The Games for Change Public Arcade supported by Zynga.org, will take place on Jay St. (between Greenwich St. & Hudson St), a full city block of great games, both digital and physical. The G4C Arcade celebrates the positive power of play: these games are not only fun, they are also ‘games for good’ – designed for learning, health, and social impact. Among the games to play will be an educational version of the blockbuster hit game Words With Friends, and the NY premiere of The Go Game’s Zombies vs. Superheroes Disaster Preparedness Game where participants can learn practical survival skills while escaping ‘zombies’. Other offerings include learning games from the SF-based Co.lab incubator, NA3M Games, Global Gaming Initiative and in G4C’s Indie Booth games from Elevator Productions, Lamplight Forest and American University’s Games Lab. Live physical games from Come Out & Play will also be on hand. The G4C Arcade is part of the 12th annual Games for Change Festival, New York City’s largest gaming event.
- Professional talent, along with local school and community acts, are scheduled to perform throughout the day at different locations, including live “Broadway at Tribeca” performances by the casts of WICKED, LES MISÉRABLES, GIGI, IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU, KINKY BOOTS, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, DISENCHANTED!, FUERZA BRUTA, SOMETHING ROTTEN!, and ON THE TOWN.
- The Rockettes will be making a special appearance while taking a quick break from NEW YORK SPRING SPECTACULAR, which is running at Radio City Music Hall through May 3.
- Several middle-school and high school students from downtown schools will once again serve as TFF Hosts, facilitating all of the events, performances and activities at the Family Festival Street Fair. They will also introduce the various screening programs throughout the Family Festival.
- From stage performances, puppet shows and workshops to storytelling and a reading corner, the Kidz Block Party is the perfect place for the younger crowd to enjoy the Family Festival in a “kid friendly” space and place. “Soft” play areas, face painting and a bubble garden are just a few of the fun adventures that await kids and parents on this historic block in the heart of Tribeca.
- The Gazillion Bubble Garden will have bubble wands of all shapes and sizes, and will offer bubble play to all who enter.
- Join puppeteer & author NOEL MACNEAL as he shows kids how paper can be a puppet (based on his books “10 MINUTE PUPPETS” & “BOX”) with cut-out and origami paper puppets. Then join Noel for his onstage workshop on puppeteering and learn the same techniques he and the performers of The Muppets use to bring felt and fleece to life!
- The CITYarts Mural project will take place this year on the north side of Chambers Street outside of Washington Market Park and BMCC. CITYarts volunteers will be painting all throughout the day to restore ‘Alice on the Wall’ Artwork damaged from Hurricane Sandy. Festivalgoers can pick up a paintbrush and join the restoration and creativity.
- Kids can explore their artistic side with arts & crafts activities including turning recycled materials into custom creatures with the ScrapKins® team, street chalk art and face painting.
- Enjoy Arts & Crafts activities from the Children’s Museum of the Arts and the Church Street School for Music and Art, which is celebrating its 25th Anniversary this year in Tribeca.
- CHESS NYC will host “Chess Play and Tips” and ongoing chess matches for all skill levels.
- Be sure to capture memories of the festival in a vintage photo booth! Children – and adults – are invited to have their face painted as well. Both are compliments of Léman Manhattan Preparatory School.
- Santander Bank, N.A., the Official Bank of the Tribeca Film Festival, will be joining this year’s Family Festival festivities by providing fun activities and treats for film fans of all ages, so do not forget to pop into the Bank’s red tent located on Greenwich Street.
- iHeartRadio will be onsite with music, giveaways and local station personalities bringing some fun and entertainment for all.
- NewYork-Presbyterian will offer Festivalgoers fun activities and lifestyle tips.