New York, NY 10029
Make the City Your Gym
Monday, February 22, at 6:30 pm
at The Museum of the City of New York
Dina Litovsky, courtesy Museum of the City of New York
Museum of the City of New York
1220 Fifth Avenue at 103rd St.
New York may be well known for its expansive parks, pedestrian lifestyle, and greenmarkets, but many residents also cope with food deserts, prohibitively expensive gym memberships, and limited access to well-maintained green space – as well as to quality healthcare. How can New York offer world-class health and wellness opportunities for all its citizens, not just the wealthiest? Join us for a discussion with New York Times health reporter Anahad O’Connor, former NYC Commissioner of Health and Mental Hygiene Thomas W. Farley, and sports medicine physician, author, and fitness instructor Jordan Metzl to explore the free and low-cost fitness resources that already exist in the city, and how best to take advantage of them. This program springs from our current exhibition, The New York City Marathon: The Great Race.
Free for Museum members; $16 general public; $12 for students/seniors.
For more information, visit Make The City Your Gym
- Introduction by Michael Schnall, Vice President for Community Engagement Initiatives, New York Road Runners
- Anahad O’Connor, Health Reporter, The New York Times
- Thomas W. Farley, Former Commissioner of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene & Chief Executive Officer, The Public Good Projects
- Adena Long, Assistant Commissioner, Public Programs, NYC Parks & Recreations
- Nancy Easton, Co-Founder, Wellness in the Schools (WITS)
- Jordan Metzl (moderator), Sports Medicine Physician, Author, and Fitness Instructor, Hospital for Special Surgery
Co-sponsored by New York Road Runners, Center for Active Design, Children’s Tumor Foundation NF Endurance Team, Crown Heights Running Club, Dashing Whippets, Designing a Strong and Healthy New York (DASH-NY), Fun on Foot, Galloway NYC Running Club, Harlem Run, Latinas in Motion, Nancercize: The Benchmark in Outdoor Fitness Blog, The New York Academy of Medicine, North Brooklyn Runners, Prospect Park Track Club, The Reservoir Dogs Running Club, and Runstreet.
About the Museum of the City of New York
Founded in 1923 as a private, nonprofit corporation, the Museum of the City of New York celebrates and interprets the city, educating the public about its distinctive character, especially its heritage of diversity, opportunity, and perpetual transformation. The Museum connects the past, present, and future of New York City, and serves the people of the city as well as visitors from around the world through exhibitions, school and public programs, publications, and collections. Visit www.mcny.org to learn more.