Last week of the Bronx SalsaFest
+ New York International Salsa Congress
August 28 – 29, 2016
September 1 – 4, 2016
Join them for the last week of Bronx SalsaFest, in partnership with the New York International Salsa Congress, New York City’s largest and longest-running Latin dance and music event where the world comes to dance every Labor Day Weekend.
Sunday, August 28 :: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Salsa Beach Party at the main stage in Orchard Beach! Willy Valentin y Su Orquesta, Los Hermanos Moreno and theNY International Salsa Congress Dancers!
Monday, August 29 :: 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
South Bronx Latin Music Tour | Explore the history and culture of Salsa in the Bronx with highlights of street life and public artwork that continues to bring vibrancy to the area. End the tour at Casa Amadeo, the oldest Latin music store in New York City.
Monday, August 29 :: 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Special Presentation by Grammy nominated drummer, Bobby Sanabria, about the musical journey of la clave, the five beats at the heart of Latin music. Against the on-going beat of the clave, Bobby Sanabria plays complex rhythms on various percussion instruments culminating on the drum set. While simultaneously speaking or singing, he demonstrates how the 5-beat clave journeyed from West Africa to Cuba then the U.S. and remains at the core of other musical styles such as funk, R & B, rock & roll, and hip hop.
Food for sale by La Masa
TUE | AUG 30 | 6pm ’til MIDNIGHT
Pitorro and Coquito Tasting at Port Morris Distillery | Join us for a tour and tasting of Pitorro and Coquito at the Port Morris Distillery in the Bronx, followed by an evening of live entertainment and dancing.
The New York International Salsa Congress
Over 8,000 Attendees Celebrate Latin Music & Dance from September 1 – September 4, 2016 at The New York Marriott Marquis in Times Square
New York, New York – (August 1, 2016)– The New York International Salsa Congress (#NYISC2016), a multi-day Latin music and dance festival, celebrates its 16th anniversary with over 8,000 attendees from around the world at The New York Marriott Marquis in Times Square from Thursday, September 1, 2016 to Sunday, September 4, 2016 with an official kick-off party held at Haus NYC in Tribeca on Wednesday, August 31, 2016, presented by Goya Foods and sponsored by Festival People en Español.
Goya Foods, the largest Hispanic-owned food company in the United States and celebrating its 80th anniversary, will be the presenting sponsor of this year’s festival. “Goya is proud to support the NYISC, an exciting cultural event held in a city that has been so loyal to our brand for so many years,” said Rafael Toro, director of Public Relations at Goya Foods. “As we celebrate our 80th anniversary, aligning ourselves with the NYISC and its goal to preserve our cultural roots magnifies the gratitude that Goya feels toward the communities that have been with us for all these decades.”
Each year the #NYISC2016 brings together people of all cultures, ages and backgrounds to participate in this multi-day celebration of Latin music and dance. From novice to professional dancers, the festival attracts people from all walks of life to establish a sense of community, to gain exposure to different styles of dance and to achieve a higher level of knowledge and expression while sharing the true passion for Latin music and dance.
Attendees will have the opportunity to choose from over 60 instructional dance workshops, view a fantastic showcase of professional dance performances and competitions, and dance all night to a LIVE concert series with Jimmy Bosch and vocals by soneroHermán Olivera “El Sonero del Siglo XXI”(Friday, September 2), Fania legendsADALBERTO SANTIAGO Pagina Oficial(Saturday, September 3), and the one and onlyRoberto Roena Pagina Oficial(Sunday, September 4).
Event Highlights include:
- Goya Foods & Festival People en Español host the official kick-off party at Haus NYC in Tribeca, NY on Wednesday, August 31, 2016
- Opening night Thursday, September 1 theme “Remembering the Greats” featuring a tribute to salsa legends with special guest invitees including friends and family members.
- Over 60 multi-level group workshops for styling, partner work, shines, and more taught each day by world-renowned dance instructors
- The Diva Survival Challenge – 3 days of an intense ladies’ styling choreography led by Mambo Diva Griselle Ponce that culminates in a live stage performance during the Sunday evening performances
- Bachata Boot Camp – 3 days of an intense bachata choreography led by top bachata instructor that culminates in a live stage performance during the Sunday evening performances
- Special evening performances by world-renowned dance teams and couples
- A youth performance showcase
- Social dancing every evening until 3:00 a.m. to live bands and DJs playing the best in Salsa, Bachata and Cha-Cha-Cha
- A shopping experience of unique vendors selling top dance brands, clothing, shoes and accessories including a lipstick bar, sponsored by Jafra Cosmetics International, Inc
In partnership with The Bronx SalsaFest and LVG New York, the NYISC will begin the week celebrating NYISC Salsa Week at the following events in The Bronx and Manhattan:
- Salsa Beach Party at Orchard Beach on Sunday, August 28, 2016, in partnership with The Bronx SalsaFest
- South Bronx Latin Music Tour followed by a special presentation with 7x Grammy-nominated percussionist and drummer Bobby Sanabria on Monday, August 29, 2016, in partnership with The Bronx SalsaFest
- Tour and tasting of Pitorro and Coquito at the Port Morris Distillery in The Bronx, followed by an evening of live entertainment and dancing, on Tuesday, August 30, 2016, in partnership with The Bronx SalsaFest
- A night of dancing to celebrate La Vieja Guardia’s 8th Anniversary Party in Manhattan, sponsored by NYISC, on Sunday, August 28th
To purchase tickets & for more information please visit, www.newyorksalsacongress.com Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube.