145th Street Bridge
The 145th Street Bridge which crosses over the Harlem River connects the borough of Manhattan at 145th Street (as the name implies) and Lenox Avenue with the Bronx borough at River Avenue and East 149th Street.
With the growth in population and commerce at the time when it was built in the northern Manhattan areas, there came a need to further connect Manhattan with the Bronx. It was around this time, that is the late 1800′s, that The Bronx’ southern sections were becoming heavily industrialized. With this need came the 145th St. swing Bridge.
Construction on this bridge began on April 19, 1901 with an opening that took place on August 24, 1905. It was once called the Lenox Avenue Bridge.
Construction Duration: 1901-1905
Total Length (including approaches): 1,603 feet
Width: 90 feet
# of Traffic Lanes: 4 lanes
Steel used Construction: 2,372 tons
Cost to build: $2.75 million
Clearance above water: 25 feet