of Greenwich Village
To the Indians it was known as Sapokanican on the Island of Manatus.
Early Dutch settlers of New Amsterdam knew it as Noortwyck. After the
British took over, it was known as the Village of Greenwich, a sleepy
mix of farms and estates. It was just 2 miles north of the City of New
York which at the time was located in the region below Wall Street.
Around the 1820's yellow fever broke out in the city and residents fled.
Overnight, Greenwich Village was over run by tens of thousands of city
folk seeking refuge from the dreaded virus. It was after this epidemic
that some people returned and some stayed behind.
In the 1880's people began moving into the area in increasing numbers.
Many of the 19th Century Buildings still stand there today on the narrow
winding streets. You can really see the vestiges of streams, and farms
in these streets. That is to say, this area's roads really don't follow
the boxy, rectangular form which makes up the rest of the city.
It was later after 1910 that this area became a popular meeting place
for nonconformist writers, artists, students, intellectuals, beatniks,
bohemians, homosexuals and anyone considered to be AT THE TIME of a deviant
Today it is a joy to walk through the streets of Greenwich Village practically
during any season. Ok, the City can be brutal in the January cold, but
that doesn't stop us!