SPACE SHUTTLE ENTERPRISE TO OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AT
THE INTREPID SEA, AIR & SPACE MUSEUM
THURSDAY, JULY 19
“SAMSUNG SPACEFEST” TO PROVIDE MORE THAN 40 SPACE-THEMED ACTIVITIES, EXHIBITS AND DEMONSTRATIONS
THROUGHOUT OPENING WEEKEND
The Space Shuttle Enterprise, the original NASA orbiter that paved the way for America’s successful space shuttle program, is scheduled to open to the public at its new home at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, located at Pier 86 (46th Street and 12th Avenue) in Manhattan, on Thursday, July 19 at approximately 2:00 PM.
Enterprise is displayed in a climate-controlled and fully-accessible Space Shuttle Pavilion located on Intrepid’s Flight Deck, and sits just 10 feet off the ground allowing visitors to walk directly underneath it or ascend to a viewing platform near the nose to get an up-close look. Dramatic lighting and a series of backlit images, texts and video stations highlight the orbiter as an experimental space plane and space ship, as well as a vehicle that continues to enable a greater understanding of science and technology. The exhibition brings to life the remarkable story of the Enterprise as the original prototype space shuttle orbiter in relation to NASA’s historic role in experimental aircraft throughout the twentieth-century, as well as the people who made this groundbreaking aerospace creation a reality. The experience will inspire visitors of all ages, offering an unforgettable look at the past, present and future of space missions.
To celebrate the grand opening of the Space Shuttle Pavilion, the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is presenting “SAMSUNG SpaceFest,” a festival that will offer guests a free concert on the Flight Deck on the evening of Wednesday, July 18 followed by more than 40 interactive displays, activities and exhibitions from Thursday, July 19 through Sunday, July 22.
Highlights of “SAMSUNG SpaceFest” include:
- “Soundwaves on the Intrepid” – a free concert on Intrepid’s Flight Deck will kick-off on the evening of Wednesday, July 18. Doors open at 6:00 PM, concert starts at 7:00 PM. Participating bands and musical acts include MNDR, Javelin, Delicate Steve and Red Baraat.
- Meet and greets with astronauts Jeffrey Hoffman, Garrett Reisman, Kevin Kregel, Ellen Baker, Mario Runco, Jr., Charles Camarda, Michael Massimino, Karol Bobko and Lee Morin;
- A free screening of the popular film Star-Trek outside the Space Pavilion on Intrepid’s Flight Deck on Friday, July 20 at 7:30pm;
- NASA robotics demonstrations;
- Hands-on space technology exhibitions and demonstrations;
- Commercial space travel exhibitions;
- Space travel simulators;
- MARS exploration and NASA’s Deep Space Telescopes;
- NASA technology center and a 50 foot Geodesic Dome presenting video of Human Exploration Operations.
All “SAMSUNG SpaceFest” activities are free with admission to the Museum. All events and appearances are subject to change. For a complete schedule of events, visit www.intrepidmuseum.org.
“SAMSUNG Spacefest” is proudly supported by Samsung Smart TV and Time Warner Cable.